Practical 2-day training course
Why would you need a training course?
- You want people to work safely, and follow standard processes.
- You have standard operating procedures but they’re long and hard to follow or,
- You have no written procedures and everyone does their own thing.
What makes a good procedure?
A good procedure is a combination of useful information, clear wording, carefully chosen photos and diagrams, and an easily-scanned layout.
What does the course cover?
- What makes an effective procedure (SOP)
- What information to include and what to put elsewhere
- Organizing information: sequence and grouping
- Being accurate and specific
- Using photos and diagrams to convey information effectively
- Writing clearly
- Controlling risk
- Consultation and reviewing
- Document management
Where are the courses held?
Courses are held at your site so that you can learn to write procedures that are relevant to your work. We are based in Sydney, Australia but are willing to travel to remote locations and to most countries.
Who should attend?
Anyone who writes, reviews, revises or approves procedures should attend this training.
What practical components are included?
The entire course is interactive with exercises and discussions. Attendees will need to bring a laptop and information for procedures that they want to write. They learn to use the template and create procedures on that template during the training. On the second day they watch a task in their workplace and create a totally new procedure for that task.
What skills should attendees already have?
Attendees should have reasonable keyboard skills and familiarity with basic Microsoft Word functions. A logical, structured approach and good writing skills are a definite advantage, as are good interpersonal and interviewing skills. It is not essential to be a subject matter expert.
How many people can attend?
An ideal group size is 8 – 10 people. The course can be adapted for smaller or larger groups.
Can it be longer or shorter?
We can negotiate a longer or shorter course based on the needs and skills of attendees.
What is included?
- 2 days of training, at your site, usually 6.5 hours of contact time, plus breaks, for up to 10 participants
- A standard procedure template
- Copies of the book Clarity out of Complexity: Writing Effective Workplace Procedures, for up to 10 attendees
What you need to provide
- Training room with a data projector, good lighting and adequate space for the number of people attending
- A computer for each participant, loaded with Microsoft Office
- A whiteboard and whiteboard marker pens
- Digital cameras or phones with good quality cameras
- Demonstration of a task for creating a new procedure, and a subject matter expert to perform the task and answer questions
How much does it cost?
Cost for a 2-day training course for 10 or less attendees is AU$4000 plus travel expenses. For courses in Western Australia, remote areas, or countries outside of Australia, charges for travel time may apply.